"We already knew that kids learn computer technology more easily than adults, but what we're seeing now is that they don't even need to be taught. It is as if children were waiting all these centuries for someone to invent their native language. "
Jaron Lanier, techno-cultural theorist
I love your profile pic! : ) Your quote makes me nervous though...are we really ready to say that kids don't need teachers? All I can imagine is Lord of the Flies online...
ReplyDeleteit's my turn with the conch i guess. . . the quote is interesting but not whole. no one can deny the language of earth and dirt and play that kids still seem to speak fluently if we let them.
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking Lanier is suggesting that we need to catch up. If digital media speak is their native tongue, then we better learn to speak it.
ReplyDeleteI'm tired of being the tourist.
Using technology as a tool of engagement to build the important skills of critical and creative thinking skills holds exciting possibilities.
ReplyDeleteYou know, until this week I firmly believed I was behind the kids. I still can't watch full length movies online, I still email and facebook... but after a webquest assignment I gave out on Thursday, I am convinced the youth of today need guidance more than ever...
ReplyDelete